- 35 YEARS of RubberGard™ EPDM
- EPDM Installation Methods
- RubberGard™ EPDM – Black Rubber Roofing Membrane
- EcoWhite™ EPDM – White Rubber Roofing Membrane
- Related Products
What is EPDM?
Ethylene propylene diene monomer, better known as EPDM is a versatile rubber roofing membrane that has been used in the low-slope commercial roofing industry for over half century. EPDM offers a variety of installation options and numerous long term benefits, such as superior weatherability, exceptional wind uplift resistance, extreme flexibility and more.
A Product That Stands the Test of Time
Since its introduction in 1980, Firestone’s RubberGard™ EPDM system has dominated the single-ply roofing market through its proven performance, durability and flexibility over a wide range of building types.
The RubberGard EPDM system has delivered more than three decades of commercial roofing success by building upon a heritage of innovation in rubber polymer technology. The versatile membrane offers a variety of installation options including fully adhered, ballasted or mechanically attached that deliver superior long-term weather ability and exhibit exceptional wind-uplift resistance.
- Studies have shown aged EPDM membrane as having a potential life expectancy of 50 years. Read more at www.epdmroofs.org.
- Firestone Building Products has produced and installed over 16,000,000,000ft² of RubberGard™ EPDM worldwide.
- More than 1,000,000,000ft² of EPDM roofing membrane is installed annually.
- There are over 500,000 warranted roofs in the world today, totaling more than 20,000,000,000ft² of EPDM Membrane.
- 13,500,000ft² of EPDM has been removed, transported, and recycled from buildings across North America since 2006.
Benefits of RubberGard™ EPDM
|Exceptional Durability – EPDM is virtually immune to ozone, UV radiation, and harsh temperatures. With the presence of carbon black fillers within the membrane, UV radiation is absorbed and converted into heat, to which the membrane resists very well. EPDM does not rely on plasticizers for its flexibility, so there is no danger of the material becoming brittle from plasticizer loss throughout the life of the roof.|
|Rapid and Easy Installation – EPDM is available in large panels (30.5m x 5.8m) that can be installed using primers and self-adhesive products, no flames or electricity is required.|
|Low Life Cycle Costs – With little or no maintenance required throughout the life of an EPDM roof, and a competitive installation cost, EPDM roofing systems result in a very low life cycle cost.|
|High Flexibility and Elongation in any Climate – EPDM elongates over 300% to accommodate building movements in climates worldwide. EPDM has proven performance in Canadian winters at -45 °C and in tropical Madagascar climates at +45 °C.|
|Sustainable and Environmentally Friendly – EPDM is an inert material with limited environmental impact during manufacturing, installation and use. EPDM is also fully recyclable.|